This web site contains my favorite recipes. As you look at my recipes, you will notice the majority of the are very simple. This is the type of food my family enjoys most. I spent a number of years cooking for Marriott Corp., a country club, a hotel and an old english restaurant and I have come to enjoy cooking the things my family enjoys. Some of them will have stories and memories of the friends and family that share their recipes with me. Others are ones I have collected from cookbooks, magazines or the internet. I have tried to give credit where credit is due. I hope you enjoy some my favorite recipes.


I want to thank my mother for her patience in teaching me to cook. I started cooking for the family when I was in the sixth grade. My mom was working and my dad was going to school at BYU working on his masters degree. Mom would leave me instructions on what to cook for dinner and if I had questions I would call her. Thanks mom for the help and encouragement. I love you.

Under the tab Rick's Healthy Recipes are of course healthy recipes. There are some Vegan, Vegetarian and of course just plain healthy ones.


To return to my main page with links to my other blogs click here Rick's Life

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Bars


This recipe comes from Debbi Fields' Great American Desserts.  Lots of chocolate in an 8x8 pan.  Love it.

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces white chocolate, coursely chopped and divided into two 4-ounce portions
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coursely chopped and divided into two 4-ounce portions
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted and divided into two 1/2 cup portions

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter the baking pan, line it with aluminum foil, and butter the foil.

Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and blend until smooth using an electric mixer on medium speed.  Beat in the peanut butter until smooth.

Stir in the egg and vanilla together in a bowl and add to the peanut butter mixture until combined.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the butter mixture and combine well.

Stir in 1 portion each of the white and semisweet chocolates and combine.  Add one portion of the pecans and mix until combined.

Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the center is soft but no longer runny.  Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the remaining white and semisweet chocolates over the top.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil and set aside to let the chocolates melt.

When melted, swirl the chocolates together with the tip of a sharp knife to make a marbleized effect.  Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the top.  Let the bars cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

To serve, cut into 2-inch and arrange on a serving plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment